Thursday, May 26, 2005

Egypt

Abu Aardvark has been covering the referendum in Egypt. Most observers think the reforms are a sham. A few days ago, Laura Bush visited Cairo and praised Mubarak's "democratic reforms." So, moderates in the Middle East have yet more evidence that the US is hypocritical in our support for the spread of freedom and democracy.

Abu Aardvark wonders if Laura was unprepared for the question about Mubarak (she was there on Sesame Street, so maybe nobody thought that she would be asked any political questions) or she actually conveyed the opinion of the White House. I remember some people talking about how disastrous Theresa Heinz Kerry would have been as a First Lady. Would she have made such a mistake?

1 comment:

Chip said...

I don't understand the reaction that people had against her. Someone once told me that they feared that she would say something offensive to a foreign dignitary and spark an international incident. This is a woman who grew up in Africa, speaks several languages, and has traveled extensively throughout the world.

I don't have anything against Laura Bush (I don't know what to make of her mistake in Egypt - it probably had to do with a lack of adequate briefing), but Theresa could probably been more of a force for good as First Lady than Laura.

I remember from my time living in Pittsburgh that most people there loved her and the work of the Heinz Foundation that she ran. I wonder how much of the fear of Theresa stems from dislike of strong, opinionated women. I think that this fear is part of the hate of Hillary.