Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Baby in Black

My parents were the first couple among their group of friends in Georgia to have a baby, so I was "adopted" by some of them. Mel and Debbie, in particular, spent a lot of time with me. It was Mel who introduced me to the joys of Saturday morning cartoons and old school country music. I've heard stories about him perching me on the center console in the front seat of his car so that I would be close to the radio. We would both sing along as loud as possible with artists such as The Stanley Brothers and Johnny Cash. I don't know if I've listened to The Stanley Brothers since then (although anyone who has seen O Brother, Where Art Thou? or listened to the soundtrack is familiar with the surviving brother, Ralph) but Cash stuck.

In the spirit of Mel, I figure that I should take some responsibility for shaping Finn's musical influences; hence my gift of the Cash onsie. I don't need to worry that Finn's life will lack music as it plays a big role in both of his parents' lives. Matt has an absolutely beautiful voice, but he's a tenor. I know he likes to sing Johnny Cash tunes to Finn, but to do Cash justice you gotta have that big resonance in your voice. Not that I am half the singer that Matt is (or Cash), but I am a bass. As you can see below, Finn is happy for me to help out.

No comments: