Monday, June 02, 2008

Sports Writing

When I wrote about Battlestar Galactica, I mentioned the idea that I don't care as much about the genre of a TV show as I do about whether or not the shows tells a good story. I feel the same way about writing in general. I'll read pretty much anything that Malcolm Gladwell writes, from articles about ketchup to IQ and race.

Joe Posnanski is a sports columnist for the Kansas City Star. While living in both Pittsburgh and in Washington, I routinely read the Star's sports coverage online as a way to keep up with the Chiefs and the Wizards. I had always enjoyed reading Posnanski's columns (he's won multiple awards from the Associated Press Sports Editors) but I really started to appreciate how good he is when I started reading his blog a couple of months ago. He's so good that occasionally even his posts about baseball are interesting.

When I first wrote this, it ended up being this really, really long post with multiple quotes about showing how Posnanski (and the show Sports Night) capture what I love about sports. I decided that it would be much easier to break it up into multiple posts.

No comments: