Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Always in My Fridge

A friend from Pittsburgh (or now I suppose it is more accurate to say from Western PA) blogged about some of the things that are always in their fridge. She asked her readers to share what we always keep around, so here's some of my list.

  1. Tortillas. In Kansas City, the best tortillas that I've found are actually at Price Chopper of all places. The Price Chopper on Roe Blvd caters to the area's large Hispanic community and makes their own tortillas.
  2. Salsas. Depending on the season, it might be homemade with produce from the garden or farmer's market, or it might be from a jar, but I always have some kind of salsa around.
  3. Mustards - usually several different kinds.
  4. Skim milk, usually from Shatto.
  5. Salad greens of some sort, often spinach or mixed baby greens. Of course, there are times of the year when the greens never make it into the fridge - they go straight from the garden to the sink to be rinsed and into the salad. I never have leftover salad.
  6. Several kinds of cheese - usually some kind of cheddar (the sharper the better), a feta, and maybe a bleu.
  7. Cider or Perry. Since moving to Kansas City, it's mostly been Ace or Strongbow. They are the not best but are fine to keep around for when the mood strikes. I don't know if I'm just getting old, but it's rare now that I'm in the mood for a beer. At the times when I use to grab a beer, I'm much more likely to go for cider.
  8. And in what will likely remain a fixture in my freezer, limoncello. I tried it from the freezer for the first time tonight, and it's good!
Anyone else want to play? Suzanne?

3 comments:

Suzanne said...

Oh sure, I'll play, but my fridge is so sad it'll be embarrasing.

BTW, is it time for me to put my small bottle of limoncello in the freezer? I can't remember the directions you gave me!

~liz said...

i'm glad you were able to finally comment - sorry about the hassle!
I haven't had cider for years and years. But I've only ever had woodchuck state-side.
~liz

Chip said...

I'm sorry if Woodchuck is all you've had here. I don't mind the sweeter American-style ciders, but Woodchuck is not the best example. The food co-op where my sister and brother-in-law shop in New Hampshire carries some great New England ciders, but I bet they would be tough to find in Western PA.