Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Ducks?

My neighbors have drainage problems in their backyard. After Monday's hard rain, they had a pool of standing water for a couple of days. I have jokingly referred to that as their pond, so I guess I should not have been surprised this morning when I looked out the window and saw this:
I guess this pair of mallards agreed with me about the pond! There is a golf course a few blocks away, and I image that the ducks normally live near the ponds on the course. I wonder how they managed to find their way to this little, temporary bit of water.



I also wonder if they arrived after I let Leo out in the backyard first thing in the morning. I trust my dog around most small animals (his first owner had kittens when she first got Leo and he adored them! She told me that the kittens would follow him around everywhere, loved to snuggle up next to him, and would even try to nurse from him! Leo has been confused ever since then when he meets other cats who aren't quite as affectionate) but I'm not sure about birds. I think his retriever genes would kick in if he saw those ducks.



More duck pictures are on my flickr site.

No comments: