Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Being an Uncle

Any day now, I'll become an uncle. My sister's due date was actually last Friday, and her doctor told her that they would induce if the baby has not come by this Friday Saturday.

I think that being an uncle has got to be one of the best jobs in the world. My ex had several nieces and nephews whom I adored. That's one of the many weird changes that happen after a divorce. I went from being an uncle and seeing the niece and nephew who lived in Seattle on a regular basis, to being totally cut off from all of them. None of her family has made any attempt to contact me since the day she she told me that we were getting divorced.


One of the regrets that I have regarding the divorce stems from wondering if I will ever become a father. I know people (Hi, Tom!) who were older than I am when they got married and had children, so I know that there is still a decent chance that I would be a father some day. But much less of a chance now than before. If I don't, though, I still will have the chance to play a significant role in the life of this child that will be born soon. That's not the same as having my own child, but it's still pretty damn cool!

3 comments:

Suzanne said...

Goodness me, Chip! You aren't allowed to fret about that just yet. You are still young yet (aren't you? I have no idea your age!). My brother-in-law is 45 and just had his first child. If I'm not fretting, you aren't allowed to!

Chip said...

Yeah, reading over my post I can see how I left the impression that I was fretting about not having kids. That might have been true last summer when I was perfecting the art of the pity party, but doesn't really describe where I am now. You're right, I am still young (32) and have plenty of time. And I'm definately not in a hurry to get into a serious relationship and/or become a father!

Suzanne said...

Okay, good to know!