Sunday, April 06, 2008

10 Most Recently Played in my iTunes

  1. Let Me Down Easy - Chris Isaak - Best Of
  2. Baby Did A Bad Bad Thing - Chris Isaak - Best Of
  3. Wicked Game - Chris Isaak - Best Of
  4. Somebody's Crying - Chris Isaak - Best Of
  5. San Francisco Days - Chris Isaak - Best Of
  6. One Evening - Feist - One Evening
  7. I Got The Rest Of My Life - John Austin - Byzantium
  8. I Changed the Lock [Take 1] - Johnny Cash - American Outakes
  9. 100 Days, 100 Nights - Sharon Jones And The Dap-Kings - 100 Days, 100 Nights
  10. A Night In Tunisia - Ella Fitzgerald - First Lady Of Song

You can see I just bought the Best of Chris Isaak. And that 1996 John Austin album, Byzantium, is amazing. It was just re-issued and is only available, as far as I know, as a digital download. You can find it on Amazon. Here's what Austin wrote about the band that backed that album on his website.
Those of us who worked on the record have always thought of it as a little gem that never quite had it's moment in the spotlight. Interestingly, many of the players for the Byzantium sessions went on and up to bigger things. Travis McNabb joined Better Than Ezra, bassist David Labruyere went on to help John Mayer form his band, Kristian Bush went country with Sugarland, Marty Kearns joined Shawn Mullins' band for a time, Randall Bramblett plays with Steve Winwood's band, engineer Don McCollister went on to produce Grammy winners, and engineer Glenn Matullo made a big splash with Shawn Mullins, and has since worked with Indigo Girls, Collective Soul, John Mayer, Outkast, Pink and Collective Soul, to name a few.
Every song on Byzantium is a little gem. I probably listen to it more than any other album I bought during my college years.

No comments: