Friday, April 18, 2008

Live Music

Brooks Williams is an incredible acoustic guitarist. I've seen him live a couple of times and have always been blown away. Since he is based in New England and I have not been able to go to one of his concerts in over a decade, I wondered if I'd be able to see him the first weekend in May when I go to New Hampshire (to see my nephew) So I headed over his website a few days ago to see if he was playing anywhere that weekend. The good news is that he is performing on Friday, May 2. The bad news is that he is playing in Lawrence, Kansas, just 30 miles away from where I live, but 1445 miles from where I will be that night. Damn!

The night before, May 1, Steve Earle will be in Lawrence, but that would be a late night right before an early flight. I'll have to think about that one.

There are a couple of shows this summer that have peaked my interest. Both Alejandro Escovedo and Emmylou Harris are playing at the Wakarusa Festival (in Lawrence) this June. I've never seen Emmylou live, but Alejandro performed the most transcendent live concert I have ever seen a couple of years ago at the Tractor Tavern in Seattle. He was with a five piece rock band plus a string quartet. This video is from a few weeks ago during SXSW.



The more acoustic side of Alejandro can heard here or here.

Feist will also be in the Midwest this summer. She's doing a free concert in Omaha on Saturday, July 12 and then will be at Starlight in Kansas City on the 13th. I imagine it would be a better musical experience in Kansas City (and with the price of gas it wouldn't be any more expensive than a road trip to Omaha) but I have a cousin who lives in Omaha. It would be fun to hang out up there. I don't know anything about Sarah's taste in music, but a free concert is a free concert.

I really need to learn more about local musicians in Kansas City. I've been hankerin' for some live music, but I don't know enough about whose worth seeing around here.

No comments: