Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Great Fast Food

Tonight, I had a great fast good burger. Californian swear by In-N-Out Burger, Oregonians like Burgerville (I'm sure that other regions have their favorite high quality fast food joints). Those places are good, and a huge step up from the national chains, but they just aren't at the level of the burger I ate tonight. (It was not the best hambuger I've ever had, that would be from Tessaro's in Pittsburgh. But Tessaro's is not fast food) I was in Lawrence all day for a class, which was a great excuse to finally try out Local Burger.

Local Burger is leading the evolution of fast food with fresh, organic, local, and sustainable fare that is free of unnatural additives and preservatives. At Local Burger, we consider the special diet, the environment, the economy, animal welfare, and the health of everyone who eats our food. At Local Burger, you'll always know where your food came from and exactly what's in it. Try it, you'll like it!
I've read about this place ever since I moved back to Kansas City last fall. They got a lot of buzz when Bon Appetit named them one of the top ten eco-friendly restaurants in the country. Their meat is all grain-fed, which I prefer. Some people think grass-fed beef is less tender (it is leaner) and has a stronger flavor than corn-fed beef. I don't think there is any dispute about it being healthier.

I had their Buffalo burger and progressive potatoes. The buffalo tasted lean and had that great, meaty flavor that I love so much from any kind of buffalo meat. I actually put too much mustard on the it (The Editor - too much mustard? I never thought I would hear those words from you!) but the burger was substantial enough to stand up to it. The next time any of you are in Lawrence, you gotta check out Local Burger!

No comments: