Sunday, April 27, 2008

Running Update

I'm still running, and I can tell that I'm slowly getting in better shape. Yesterday I did the 5K route near my house and only needed to stop to walk once. I think that I'm going to sign up to do the Hospital Hill 5K in six weeks. As it's name implies, there will be a lot more elevation gain on that run than what I'm currently doing. I could do a flat 5K without walking really soon, so doing Hospital Hill will provide a bit more of a challenge for my first official 5K. Since I hate the heat, I doubt I will add too many miles this summer, but I will find a 10K to do in the fall. I think having some events lined up will help my motivation to keep running.

I don't think I would start running barefoot, but this article in New York Magazine certainly has some food for thought. I've always liked to go barefoot as much as possible, and this article verifies my suspicion that it is healthy to do so. It's been years since I had a pair of Gazelles, but they weren't like this photo that accompanied the article.

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

This article is fascinating! Thanks for linking to it. Of course, I am now going to have to purchase yet another pair of shoes!

Chip said...

You could do something like the picture on the second page of that article. I'm sure it would cost at least as much, and wouldn't last nearly as long as some of the shoes the article mentions, but it would be pretty cool!